Welcome to Quantum Optoelectronic Laboratory
Quantum Optoelectronics Laboratory is under the direction of Dr. Robert M. Kolbas in Electrical and Computer Engineering Department of North Carolina State University located at Raleigh, North Carolina. We are located in the Monteith Research Center (MRC) on the centennial campus of NC State University.
The focus of our experimental research group is the application of the physics of ultra small semiconductor structures (quantum wells, quantum dots) to attain new and improved device functionality of optical light emitters (lasers, LEDs), dielectric waveguides, and detectors.
Our current research is focused on the laser properties of wide band gap semiconductors (AlGaN-GaN-InGaN) and the interaction of photons/electron-hole pairs in quantum well semiconductor lasers.
Highlights of our past accomplishments that involve first demonstrations or first published reports include:
- Demonstration of Optical Data Storage in InGaN/GaN1
- A two-color semiconductor light emitter based on selective carrier collection.2
- A vertical cavity surface emitting laser with a monolayer thick active region.3
- Photoluminescence from an AlGaN-GaN quantum well.4
- Laser action from monolayer thick quantum wells. Demonstrated the thinnest (smallest active region volume) laser.5
- Time resolved phonon assisted stimulated emission from any semiconductor material.6
- A room temperature strained layer laser diode grown by molecular beam epitaxy.7
- Room temperature negative differential resistance in a strained layer resonant tunneling structure.8
- A semiconductor laser with a lateral heterobarrier by diffusion enhanced alloy disordering.9
- The monolithic integration of a semiconductor laser with a medium scale integrated circuit.10
- Phonon assisted stimulated emission in a quantum well.11
- A room temperature continuous wave photopumped semiconductor laser.12
- Carrier collection (non collection) in a quantum well.13
In addition to the technical journals listed below these results have been highlighted in Physics Today and widely distributed in magazines such as Popular Science.
- "Optical Metastability in Bulk GaN Single Crystals", I. K. Shmagin, J. F. Muth, J. H. Lee, R. M. Kolbas, C. M. Balkas, Z. Sitar and R. F. Davis, Applied Physics Letters Vol. 71, No. 4, pp. 455-457 (28 July 1997).
- "Two Terminal Bias Induced Dual Wavelength Semiconductor Light Emitter," D. Zhang, F. E. Reed, T. Zhang, N. V. Edwards and R. M. Kolbas, Applied Physics Letters Vol. 63, No. 24, pp. 3367-3369, (13 Dec. 1993).
- "Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser with a Submonolayer Thick InAs Active Layer," S. D. Benjamin, T. Zhang, Y. L. Hwang, M. S. Mytych and R. M. Kolbas, Applied Physics Letters 60, No. 15, pp. 1800-1802 (13 April 1992).
- "Photoluminescence Characteristics of AlGaN-GaN-AlGaN Quantum Wells Grown by Low Pressure Metalorganic Chemical Vapor Deposition," M. A. Khan, R. A. Skogman, J. M. Van Hove, S. Krishnankutty and R. M. Kolbas, Applied Physics Letters Vol. 56, No. 13, pp. 1257-1259 (26 March 1990).
- "Photoluminescence and Stimulated Emission from Monolayer Thick Pseudomorphic InAs Single Quantum Well Heterostructures," J. H. Lee, K. Y. Hsieh and R. M. Kolbas, Physics Rev. B. 41, pp. 7684-7684 (15 April 1990).
- "Time Resolved Phonon Assisted Stimulated Emission in Quantum Well Heterostructures," 1989 Device Research Conference; IEEE Transactions Electron Devices Vol. 36, No. 11, p. 2613 (Nov. 1989).
- "Continuous Room Temperature Operation of an InGaAs-GaAs-AlGaAs Strained Layer Laser," Y. J. Yang, K. Y. Hsieh and R. M. Kolbas, Applied Physics Letters Vol. 51, No. 4, pp. 215-217 (27 July 1987).
- "Room Temperature Negative Differential Resistance in Strained Layer GaAs-AlGaAs-InGaAs Quantum Well Heterostructures," G. S. Lee, K. Y. Hsieh and R. M. Kolbas, Applied Physics Letters Vol. 49, No. 22, pp. 1528-1530 (1 December 1986).
- "Transverse Junction Stripe Laser with a Lateral Heterobarrier by Diffusion Enhanced Alloy Disordering," Y. J. Yang, Y. C. Lo, G. S. Lee, K. Y. Hsieh and R. M. Kolbas, Applied Physics Letters Vol. 49, No. 14, pp. 835-837 (6 October 1986).
- "Gigabit Optoelectronic Transmitter," J. K. Carney, M. J. Helix, R. M. Kolbas, published in the record of the GaAs IC Symposium, Phoenix (October 1983).
- "Phonon-Sideband MO-CVD Quantum-Well AlxGa1-xAs-GaAs Heterostructure Laser," N. Holonyak, Jr., R. M. Kolbas, W. D. Laidig, M. Altarelli, R. D. Dupuis, and P. D. Dapkus, Applied Physics Letters Vol. 34, No. 8, pp. 502-505 (April 1979).
- "Room-Temperature Continuous Operation of Photopumped MO-CVD AlxGa1-xAs-GaAs-AlxGa1-xAs Quantum-Well Lasers," N. Holonyak, Jr., R. M. Kolbas, R. D. Dupuis, and P. D. Dapkus, Applied Physics Letters Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 73-75 (July 1978).
- "Carrier Collection in a Semiconductor Quantum-Well," H. Shichijo, R. M. Kolbas, N. Holonyak, Jr., R. D. Dupuis, and P. D. Dapkus, Solid State Communications. Vol. 27, No. 10, pp. 1029-1032 (September 1978).